Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

Today is my birthday - as Cam so "nicely" announced to our entire church - both services - "thanks honey!"

So I decided I wanted to start a new tradition between Cam and I. Every year we buy each other cards and write sweet, encouraging words to each other. (The past two years my kids have each written me letters on my birthday telling me how much I mean to them - when I say those are the best gifts I have EVER received, I am not exagerating!) So when Cam and I write birthday cards to each other I keep the card out for a while, then tuck it into my desk vowing to hold onto it since his words are so special to me. But eventually it gets tossed to make room for more invaluable keepsakes. I had been brainstorming a better way to hold onto these cards - plastic sheets in binders was one idea, cardboard keepsake boxes was another, but I knew I could do better.

Here in comes the new tradition. I took an old hard cover book and tore out the pages, then I covered it in material and sewed together some blank pieces of paper. Then I hot glued that to the spine of the book. Thereby creating "the birthday book". I warned Cam that I wanted him to write in this book for my birthday instead of buying me a card. (I copied what I had written to him for his October birthday since I hadn't thought of this idea sooner.) This way our sweet, encouraging words to each other are in one place to be reread whenever we want. I think this tradition will make a lot of cents and sensibility in our house!

 






2 comments:

  1. I'm totally in love with this idea, and I am stealing it! We do the same thing, and have a big box full of cards. I love the thought of years to come a book full of letters devoting our love to each other. (maybe i should make a book for each of the twins as well) I say you sell and market this product... we can look into that and my peanut butter jar, hehe. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE MOST FANTASTIC, INSPIRATIONAL, LOVING, GREAT FRIEND, WOMAN I KNOW. XO
    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea! happy belated birthday, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.