Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"I'm Teaching Naked"

Wait, let me explain... as Megan was packing all her school supplies to start her first year as a "real" teacher she realized it would be far easier to teach naked than to try to cram ALL her supplies into her 2 suitcases! At the last minute I told her to pack a 3rd suitcase and just pay the fee, but when we got to the airport there was a 2 week embargo limit on luggage (guess which 2 weeks?) So she could take ONE suitcase and we paid for a 2nd one and shoved the contents of her 3rd suitcase into pockets, a backpack and a pillowcase. Sorry to say, the pillowcase didn't make it... moment of silence!

So today is her first day as a 3rd grade teacher. Someone stopped me at church and lamented the fact that we had kids with adult jobs - how could this be. When Cam announced the fact that she had accepted this job in the Dominican Republic he said "I guess this is what happens when you take your kids on missions trips" And he is so right.

As we drove to the airport with our good friend Janet, I realized Megan was more prepared at her age, than I had ever been. We passed the parking garage once, entered the airport at the wrong entrance and when I turned to Janet to make sure she had remembered where we parked she looked at me with the same blank look I had on my face. It was Megan that directed us to the garage, calmly reentered the correct location and reminded us it was P4 - or something like that! I'm sure she was worried Janet and I would never make it home!

Yes, she is ready. All her exposure to new situations has given her a confidence beyond her years. I was reading Bill Hybels book "Whispers" where he tells the story of his Dad buying him a plane ticket when he was 15 years old to travel the world - Yikes!  But his Dad knew him and knew that would be a good life lesson for his son - today he is the pastor of one of the largest churches in America and he credits his Dad with helping him think beyond his years.

Pushing our kids beyond their comfort zone is an excellent way to prepare them for life. Letting them struggle and problem solve on their own, will only make them stronger adults. And isn't that what we want for our kids? As sad as I was to drop Megan at the airport, I couldn't help thinking about the alternative - a lazy adult living in my basement, too worried about failure to try something new.

So as she starts her first day teaching (with clothes on) I pray that she will continue to grow in all aspects of her life - not just ones that make cents and sensibility!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mary. It is a message I need to be reminded of.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the pillowcase made it!!! thanks mom for all the love and encouragement!! i told my kids today that i was a teacher because of you. i said i want to be just like my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. This is an area in which I struggle with daily. Matt is 14 and wanting to do and go all sorts of places. Trying to balance commonsense, where we live, and the fact that he is growing up is hard for me to do! But God is faithful and we are trusting Him to lead and guide us through this stage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reminder about what the alternative is! I feel like I am winging it 90% of the time with motherhood, so stuff like this is a great reminder of how to be purposeful. :)

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.