Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cents and Sensibility

I'm back!! I was having all kinds of problems with my blog and posting it. So I guess that is what happens when you use electronics - they have glitches and you just have to wait for the glitches to work themselves out.

But as I waited I decided to change the name of the blog - when I first started I thought it would be all about saving money, but I noticed I liked to talk about life issues too, so I thought I would combine the two - Cents and Sensibility!

I love Jane Austin, but I am a "movie Jane Austin fan", not a "book Jane Austin fan". It started when I watched Pride and Prejudice with my sister in law and now I have rented all her movies including the BBC versions.

But as much as I like the romance, the era drives me crazy - why are they always sitting around doing nothing!! They could be out working, serving, contributing, instead they sit and talk and talk and talk. While their servants do all the work.

I like to work. Even when I was a stay at home mom, I had jobs. I think I liked that sense of accomplishment you don't always get when you are in the "thick of it". Dirty diapers and middle of the night cries don't stoke your ego! So I found things to do that satisfied me and put a few dollars in my pocket.

Here are a few examples of jobs I did: babysitting, private laundry for a nursing home patient, tutoring, crafts, birthday parties, ladies night out craft parties, mystery shopper. Most of the jobs I was able to bring my kids with me or have Cam watch them (we never called it babysitting, becasue technically they are his kids too!)

So if you feel the need to do more than just sit and talk, talk, talk - Jane Austin I love you, but I wanted to make some cents and still be sensible!

5 comments:

  1. I've missed you!! Glad you are back!! I was a mystery shopper, too! Until #4 came along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post as always, Mary. :) I can't believe you don't like the books though! I love classic literature. I do love the P & P movie though. (the most recent remake)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great title! I think you must been gifted with a lot of energy, doing all those things as well as raising a family!
    Denise H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. regardless of your new title I am still going to say 'that makes sense' as much as possible, especially when I am conversing with you:)

    -reen

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.