Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Let's Do Lunch!

When Megan was in high school she had a group of friends she ate lunch with. They decided to play a little game with their food. Beginning with the letter A -they would bring in food that started with a letter - avocados, artichokes, animal crackers. Next day it was B - bananas, bagels, butterfly shrimp. Now that's fun!

When my kids started school, the lunchbox was an important purchase - it would get used everyday. So they would choose carefully and then we would get to work. After dinner we would pull out the lunch supplies and they would make their lunches. I would check to see what they were putting in, but for the most part, they were responsible for making it and you know what - they ate it. There was very little wasted or returned food since they were deciding what to eat.

Along the way we learned a few things:

1. Nutrition - we talked a lot about what should be in their lunch and tried to model balanced meals at dinner but it was only one meal - if they brought 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday - who cares, they were getting fruits and veggies at home. I would also have them come up with ideas for the shopping list so the pantry would be well stocked for them. They rarely bought lunch since they could make a better tasting meal than the cafeteria and they said that standing in line wasted too much of their time.

2. Water only - I rarely bought juice boxes. They each had a water bottle that they would fill half way with water and then freeze. This also worked as an ice pack in their lunch - it tends to "sweat" so you could slip it in a clean sock to keep other things dry.

3. The "Snack Basket" - we were having "issues" with the snacks for the week  being eaten the first day I bought them, so I gave each kid a basket for their snacks. All their snacks for the week go in there and it has to last them - if they run out early - oh well - and there is no "stealing" from other basket, but there is plenty of trading!!

4. Family Meeting - before I go shopping, I'll ask what they want for that week (as long as it's on sale!) I used to always buy lunch meat, but now they are on a yogurt and salami kick. My sister-in-law Laurie told me a great idea. She buys whole cuts of meat - turkey, ham, roast beef - cooks it and then slices it for sandwiches. This is so much cheaper than buying it from the deli - I usually don't buy meat if it's over $4 a pound, but I was shelling out $7 a pound for lunch meat - what's wrong with this picture!

5. Reusable vs. Disposable - when the kids were in elementary school all their food was in Tupperware and they would bring it home to use the next day. They make a really neat sandwich wrap - it's a piece of material on one side and plastic on the other - you place your sandwich in the middle and fold in the sides - it stays shut with Velcro. They would be super easy to make. A place mat and cloth napkin are an added nice touch. By the time the kids got to jr. high the lunch box was out and paper bags were in. I can compromise - I buy the generic bags and single containers of yogurt and applesauce - it's a little more money, but cheaper than buying lunch.

6. Leftovers - that is what I usually bring for lunch - after dinner I spoon what's left into a Tupperware and my lunch is packed. If you have kids at home or are homeschooling - this is a great option. It's also a great time to let your kids try their hand at cooking - let them plan and make this meal - consider it home economics.

Packing your lunch can save you a lot of money - school lunches are up to $2.50 - $5 and eating out will cost you even more, let alone the time and gas you will spend getting there. Do a little preplanning and save some cents!
Jello - Yogurt Cups
1 package jello (I use sugar-free)
1 Cup boiling water
1 Cup yogurt (any flavor)
Blend in the blender, pour into cups and chill for 3 hours.
My kids LOVE these!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the excellent tips! Huge help now that I have a school aged child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i forgot that my friends and i use to do that. we were such dorks!

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.