Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Jorie's Sweatshirt

So as promised I will walk you through a felting project with a wool sweater - when you are done, you will have a beautiful felted bag.



Take a wool sweater and felt it - wash in hot water, dry on hot heat with tennis ball and repeat if necessary. Then lay out your sweater - I already cut off the arms to use as leg warmers for a Halloween costume. Make cuts as shown.

Then turn the sweater inside out and line up the side seams - so the bottom side seams match. Sew along the bottom - this is the only skill involved, so if you really can't sew, ask a friend or I guess you could duct tape it shut! Now turn the sweater back to the right side - you are done!! You have a super simple bag!

You could embellish with cut out felt pieces that you sew on or do a blanket stitch around the straps or you can just enjoy it NOW - so easy!!

There are a couple of projects you can make with the sleeves. You could make a sleeve to hold your plastic grocery bags, a cover for your water bottle so it doesn't "sweat" or a reusable sleeve for your coffee mug.



Now for the surprise craft project!

Over Christmas Colin showed me a sweatshirt online that had built in mittens - it was really cute, but not $70 cute. So, he asked me to make one for his girlfriend Jorie. Sure, no problem!

First I practiced on a sweatshirt that I already had - I had to remove the front pockets, which was a little tricky. I took my seam ripper and carefully took out the stitches. Then I went looking for a  pair of mittens - apparently you can't buy mittens in Pennsylvania in January - but if I needed a pair of sandals, I'd be in luck. So I took one of my felted sweaters - the one I showed you yesterday that looked like a basketball and I cut out a mitten from the sleeve - the bottom was the cuff. I stitched up the sides - it worked perfect!! Then I hand sewed it onto the sweatshirt.

The $70 sweatshirt now was free!!

I gave that one to my niece "Abischmale" which is what her Uncle Cam calls her (no, we can't get him to stop):

mittens...

or no mittens!!!


Isn't that cute!! Now to make another one for Jorie. I bought a navy blue sweatshirt at Target, ripped out the front pockets.  My friend Anne had hunter green mittens she didn't want. I sewed those onto the front. Colin gave it to her this past week when she was down visiting - she loved it! And it was so easy!

The best part about making something for someone is the time I spend working on it. I can't help but think about that person and to pray for them - I feel like it is a double gift I get to give them.

Crafting for those we love, makes cents!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome ideas! I look forward to showing this to my 14 yr. old daughter ~ we can do this together!
    Denise H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I could make that bag!! (Though you just may be the friend to do the sewing!!) Now I just need to get to the Army to find a wool sweater :)

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.