Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Do you have a reservation??

I heard on the radio yesterday that the average couple will spend just under $200 on Valentine's Day - I'm glad I'm not average - aren't you??

Cam just called me upstairs to show me the toilet seat he put in our bathroom - it lowers by itself. I'm pretty sure that isn't my Valentine's gift, but if it is I hope it was under $200!

That amount might seem high but if you think about eating out - that amount isn't too far off base. Which brings me to what I really want to talk about - eating out - is it worth it?? Fast food is around $5, sit down can be about $15 plus tip and nice sit down can cost you about $30 and those numbers are if you are dining alone - times it by 6 and you see why I obsess about this!

Cam LOVES to eat out. He likes to tell me the story of how his Dad had diabetes and after church he would say he was going to have an episode if they didn't get to Perkins in 5 minutes - he loved his Dad!!

My family rarely ate out. The first trip Cam went on with my family we drove to Martha's Vineyard. We pulled into the rest area and Cam thought - great - fast food. That smile was quickly replaced by a look of horror as my mom pulled out the picnic basket complete with plastic tablecloth and wet wash cloth in a Ziploc. He quickly ate and then excused himself to use the bathroom (and buy a burger!)

Fortunately in Cam's line of work he takes people out for lunch and breakfast quite often so you would think his need for other people preparing his food would be satisfied, but he tells me it is hard to enjoy your food when you're trying to listen and give wise counsel - BOO HOO!

I do enjoy eating out and the break from cooking and at times will look around the kitchen and cry out -PIZZA!!

But when I think about eating out and the expense that is involved in it I have to ask myself "Is it worth it"?

This is a good rule of thumb for anything you buy, not just food.

Take for example a cheeseburger and fries that would cost about $5. To buy the same meal at the grocery store and make at home would probably be about $1 - did I enjoy that fast food meal 5 times more than my home cooked meal? Probably not! Let's get fancier. A couple took us out to an expensive Italian restaurant and paid $120 - I could have made the same meal for around $12 did I enjoy it 10 times more? I do enjoy eating out - the atmosphere, the service, the way every one of my "needs" is met! And granted some meals are good - really good especially when cooked by a real chef but are they that much better? That is the question you need to ask when you are planning to eat out. I love Greek food and have tried to make it at home with little success so for me, that is worth it!

The key word PLANNING. Am I just going out because I didn't plan well at home. Am I using restaurants as a meal planner? It's a personal question. If you don't have the money - eat at home. But if you do have the money - choose wisely and use a coupon. If it's a special occasion or you have a good reason, go ahead but with a little preplanning, you can make those special meals right at home.

It turns out the toilet seat wasn't my gift for Valentine's Day -Cam cooked some steaks that we had received as a Christmas gift on the grill and made a Cesar salad. No long lines, no tips, no reservations - just dirty dishes, but that's why I had children. Eating at home does makes cents!

That Makes Cents Tip: Homemade Pizza
Take frozen bread dough and let defrost - follow directions on the package -I take mine out in the morning. Spray a cookie sheet, stone or pizza pan with olive oil. Spread out dough - little kids love to help with this, just flour your hands and knead on the tray. Cover with sauce (I just use spaghetti sauce, but you could try tomatoes too) Then put shredded mozzarella cheese, and any other toppings your family likes. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning or fresh Basil if you have it. Cook at 400 for about 15 minutes. It is delicious and costs about $3 for one pizza.

5 comments:

  1. I wish fast food was still only 5 bucks a person! I think the kid meals are around that now. The last time we ate there it was over 30 bucks for our family. Haven't done it again since, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, eating out is totally worth it, IF the kids aren't with us. Being waited on, and NO clean up = happy me. LOL. I know. It is ridiculously expensive and since doing the DR thing, we only go out once in a while instead of a couple a times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!!! So I just read through like 6 posts which is kind of a big deal because I have a huge assignment due tomorrow!! That's how much I like what you have to say:)
    The whole no eating out thing has been kind of convicting for me.. how about, do you have any ideas for college kids on how to shop for grocery's that will last them a long time.. for example, I have oatmeal and I eat a bowl of it every day, and it lasts me the whole semester.. so basically $3 dollars on quaker oats goes a long way!! Its hard though to buy a loaf of break because that only lasts me like a week and then mold starts to grow on it!
    Anyways, no pressure. haha.
    oh and one more thing, has Colin read this yet? Because no offense it is cute and everything but the lay out does NOT meet the quality of the content.. I'm sure he could spruce it up for you in seconds:)
    ok, enough about me! Miss you Mary!!
    Love,
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Mary, you are not going to believe what I did this evening.... Actually went out to Olive Garden!!!! And I was actually feeling a bit guilty, I feel EXACTLY like you do about eating out. I did use the coupon and ordered the lasagna, which is my favorite. I can justify it since Mike and I hardly ever go out, probably 3-4 times a year for dinner.

    I also almost bought the toilet seat today at Lowes that lowers by itself, we have one in the downstairs bathroom....love it. You know what they say...."Great minds think alike".

    PS To Laureen: Get back to studying and put the bread in the fridge. Love ya'

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is ads on here...are you making millions yet???

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.