Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

From pre-school to pre-med

A friend asked me the other day why I didn't send my kids to pre-school - look around, I told her, I gave birth to a pre-school! With 4 kids under the age of 6, it never really occurred to us that they were missing anything by not enrolling. Now, don't get me wrong, this is not a judgement call on schooling - we have always said there are 3 options - public, private and homeschooling and every family has to decided what is right for them and each of their children. Also, my husband and I chose professions that have us teaching every day. So why this decision?? 22 years ago pre-school was not the pre-requisite for success that it is today, but I think I would still make the same decision and if you are leaning that way - have confidence - you are not destroying your child's life.

So let's look at what value pre-school brings - basically it is socialization, self-control, letters and numbers. I couldn't justify shelling out big bucks so my kids could play and learn while I sat at home. So what to do??? We created our own "pre-school". At the time I attended a Women's Bible Study that offered babysitting and also babysat for another study so I not only got paid, but was able to include my own children. Also, our children attended Sunday School and Kid's Church each week - Church is a beautiful thing!!

Sure, it wasn't always easy - why is it your own children are the one's that misbehave when you are in charge?? But isn't that what parenting is all about - doing the hard stuff. Spending the time to play, and teach along the way - it doesn't have to be formal - it just has to be consistent. It just takes a little planning and creativity.

So why not create your own "pre-school"? Invite some other Mom's to rotate the "teaching" and that way you get a morning out and your child gets the opportunity to listen and obey another adult. Or another idea is to "barter" with another parent - perhaps it's a home cooked dinner in exchange for 2 hours of "pre-school" or a clean garage for a trip to the park?

By the time my youngest was home "alone" I was approached by a friend to watch her daughter - who was the same age as my son so she could home school a high school student. So for 5 mornings a week we had "pre-school". We played, shared, and learned from each other and at the end of the week I got paid to "educate" my son.

Now, you are asking, were my kids prepared for Kindergarten?
As a funny turn of events I ended up being hired when my youngest was in 2nd grade to work with his Kindergarten Teacher and I saw first hand what they expect from a new student in a very good school district.
Yes! They were ready for Kindergarten - they loved school, loved their teacher, knew how to sit in a circle and take turns. And isn't that what it is all about?

For our family, it just made cents!

4 comments:

  1. You're a better woman than I am, because I NEEDED my kids to go away, lol. Glad we can all find what works for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay - a good mommy knows what works best for them!!! Thanks for all your encouraging support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Mary! We personally didn't see a reason to send the kids to pre-school. I stay home with them and they get plenty of socialization at church considering how many days out of the week we're there! Rebecca started kindergarten this year and was more than prepared. She's ahead of everyone in her class. She loves school and has an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you have made a different choice if Jolly Tots was still around? Yum Yum Tomato soup and crackers:)

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.