Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spending $ Sometimes Makes Cents!

Somebody asked me what the "Purpose of my blog was?" Yikes, not only did I have to write, but I needed a purpose!
Then I realized that was easy - "How my family saves money" - DUH!

But as much as I love to save money I also LOVE to invest it!
No - I am not some savvy stock market geek - I wish I was. I just believe that spending money to better yourself, marriage or family is money well spent. Bottom line - I want those that I love to grow in their relationship with God!

So this past weekend 5 out of our 6 family member were doing just that (sorry Colin, someone has to go to school:)

Megan paid money to go to a Young Life Camp for Jr. High kids in the Dominican Republic where she is doing her student teaching. We paid our church to take Dylan and Ryan on a Sr. High Youth Group Winter Weekend -believe me that was money well spent! And Cam and I paid to go to a marriage conference at Sandy Cove along with some other couples from our church.
 What do all these things have in common???? They cost us money and they were WELL worth it!

So my "purpose" for this blog hasn't changed. But don't work so hard at saving money that you forget why it is that you are doing it. If you  lose sight of  the things in your life that are important and that you value - it doesn't make cents!

SIDE BAR: I would be interested in knowing who is reading my blog. It would help me gear the blog towards the audience. If it's all college students, I'll hold back on the "Making your own Baby Food" articles and start writing the "Traveling the Seven Seas for Seven Dollars a Day" articles! So if you aren't already signed up as a follower, please do (if you don't know how, ask a teenager) Someone asked me if it costs money to "follow" NO, but if it makes you feel better you can put $10 in an envelope and send it to me! And if this is way too much of a commitment for you, please continue to stalk me for free.  And thank you for all the kind, supportive, and encouraging comments you've given so far - I appreciate it!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Home!!!

    ....and thanks for allowing us stalk for free :)

    check out our puzzle piece adventure, and let us know if you want in!! (no donation necessary, but prayers mandatory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just reading through your blog and am laughing to myself at how much we seem to have in common!

    Thanks for visiting me at Bucks County Folk Art. I'm happy to be considered one of your new Followers.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading but having trouble posting comments. - Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blogs...it's an encouragement to me & helps me to strive to make more "cents" out of things!!
    Thanks Mary!!
    <3 Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of your regular stalkers. :) And I agree, the money spent on the couple's retreat was money well spent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm reading and enjoying each post :)

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.