Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Let's run some errands

When I got in from my walk yesterday morning there was a note on the table from one of the boys saying that he wasn't feeling well but wanted to go to school to take his Math test and could I pick him up on my lunch break - all this from the boy who asks me everyday if school is cancelled - I guess we are making progress. And apparently you can just tell the high school nurse that you are too sick to be in school and she will let you go home! So when I got to work and my cell phone rang with the schools number, I thought I knew what the nurse would say. Instead it was our other son with a high fever! After getting everyone settled at home, I had a few errands to run after work.

1st stop - CVS - did you know that some prescription plans will allow you to have a 90 day supply of your prescription for one copay? Ours does, so anytime we need something filled that is for more than one month I have the doctor write it for 90 days - I just saved 2 months on that prescription. Check with your pharmacy to see if you are eligible.

2nd stop - Post Office - with Colin living in Florida, this is a place that I frequent a lot, but I only recently found out that there is a self service machine in the lobby. No standing in line with 20 other people while 1 clerk waits on us and 2 employees scurry around behind him trying not make eye contact with us. You can send packages, big envelopes and buy stamps. The machine does all the work, prints out the postage and you stick it on and put it in the proper slot. You can also use their free shipping boxes. They come in 3 different sizes and you pay according to the box - $5, $10 or $15 - no matter how heavy it is and you can use the same machine to print out and pay to ship it-- see you suckers!

3rd stop - Redbox - remember when you used to go to the movies but that got too expensive, then you went to Blockbuster for your movies but that got expensive, now for $1.06 you can get fairly recent releases. You can also check online at Redbox.com for available titles at the box you want to go to. No disappointment when the movie you wanted isn't there = or trying to make a decision by calling home to read off all the available movies while the person in line behind you huffs and puffs. People also seem to like Netflix - I just don't think there are enough movies I want to see to justify the expense.

You may be wondering why I am telling you all this - not that it wasn't interesting.

There are two ways to make more money - I can work more hours (and be taxed on that amount) or I can save the taxed money I already earned and find ways to do things cheaper - so if I am frugal with what I already have it is like getting a raise without paying taxes. There are only a few BIG ways to save money - mortgage, car buying, etc. It is all those little ways that add up to save you money and time is money - so if I can do something quicker and cheaper - I'm all in and that makes cents!

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you think, Mary! Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make $10 at Target just by transferring a perscription over to them...do it once, get the $10 gift card than transfer it back to your local pharmacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sneaky sneaky janet!
    i wish i could be sick at home with everyone!

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.