Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

You love me, you love me not

Warning!!
4 Days Left!!
Do the math, look at a calender or better yet, turn on the TV - you can't miss that Valentine's Day is just around the corner. What a great day to tell those around you how much they mean to you -  but like any American holiday you can't celebrate without spending a lot of money, right? - well think again.

Cam and I used to play a game with our kids when they first started to walk - we would sit on opposite sides of the room and put the baby in the middle, then we would say -" come to the one you love" whichever person they came to won! Hopefully these ideas will be better than that.

1.Love notes written on paper hearts are one idea. I gave each child their own color paper heart, wrote what we loved about them and strung them throughout the house. So when they woke up that morning encouraging words were everywhere!! We even made one for my dad - yes, Boppie - and hung it in his kitchen - he kept that up for quite a while :)

2.How about cooking up their favorite foods, a heart shaped cake or cookies - red food dye is optional. You could act like the chef and ask for their special request for a nice dinner. Then go around the table and say what you love about each other.

3. Your kids could pick a sibling that could be their special "valentine" and they could do special things for them and write them notes the week before V. Day, trying not to get caught = you could have a big reveal at the end of the week.

4. Dads- why not surprise your daughter with a breakfast date. Cam was so committed to his daughter (and eating out) that they braved an ice storm to get to the restaurant one year. He also made sure not only to have a card for me, but also one for Megan - hopefully she will marry a man that treats her as well as her dad treats her mom.

5. Breakfast in bed is a great way for anyone to start their day -whether it's Valentine or Tuesday!

6. Once kids reach school age - the valentines fun begins -  when I was in 2nd grade and had a serious crush on a boy, I signed all my cards with my name but to the boy I liked I only told him of my undying love - anonymously of course- well it wasn't too hard for him to figure out that he got a signed card from everyone else in the class  and an anonymous one from me - now that's putting the RED in valentines!
This is one tradition  hasn't been banned from schools yet - we still make boxes or bags and each student fills it with cards for each of their classmates - now , some have candy attached, some with food coupons, but most are just signed. I used to have my kids make their own cards but let's get real - you can buy a box of 20 for $1. So unless you really enjoy doing this, go to the dollar store and buy a box or better yet, wait till after Valentine's Day and you can get them for 50% off and save them for next year!!

7. Scavenger Hunts are great with kids! You can hide little treats around the house, or write a message on a poster board and cut it apart - puzzle style and hide those pieces - they love to put it back together and read the secret message.

8. The infamous "Coupon Book" appears every V. day at our house- the only problem with the free "back rub, do the dishes, cut the lawn, take out the trash" coupon is that it is harder to redeem them than airline miles - at least in our house!! But they sure are cute!

9. I know it's fun to be self absorbed, but how about thinking of someone who might not get a card - a neighbor, nursing home resident, etc. Make some cards, or little crafts and hand deliver them - the smile you and the kids receive back is priceless.

10. One year we did a house swap with another couple. We offered to take their kids to McDonald's and a playground and the couple came to our house where I had made a simple dinner for them. They then returned the favor  - it's like dinning out, without the crowds or expense.

11. Since V. day falls in winter - how about an indoor picnic - Cam and I packed a basket and drove to a covered bridge in our area - we did dine with the car on, but it was still romantic!!

And what could show someone you love them more than blogging with them - yes, Meg and I wrote this together while skyping tonite - if that isn't love, I don't know what is. Spending time with those you love sure does makes cents!!

7 comments:

  1. 2 hours - definatly the longest amount of time I have ever spent writing - thanks Meg!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sentimental ooze coming from this blog is too much to handle... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cracking up at this post. #8 is so true. I still have a "coupon" from 2 Christmases ago for a chick flick night...ha. i'd rather watch a chick flick by myself or with another chick. No offense to Scott.
    ?? For you. Since I have all boys, do I have to go thru the rigamarol of V day? Really? I love them and all but...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If interested this is what I told Kate O- you are off the hook! It is really your husbands job to teach your boys how to love their Mom so someday they can love their own wife. Cam always makes sure the boys have a card for me and of course I do sweet little things for them - like feed them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I just want you to know Brad read this and took #11 to heart...we had an indoor Chinese picnic!

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.