Labels

bargains (2) birthdays (1) communication (1) crafts (1) decorating (4) food (8) good idea (7) living (18) marriage (1) parenting (17) serving (1) thriftiness (23) time (4) wedding (1)

Friday, February 11, 2011

Trash to Treasure

A good part of my house is decorated with trash - there I said it! I am a dumpster diver! The only thing better than a good deal is free deal and what could be more free than trash!

It is amazing what people throw out! And I have found some real treasures. Here is a partial list:

4 kitchen chairs that match my original 6
An antique window someone had made into a mirror
Pampered Chef cooking stones - 3
Leather office chairs
2 Wooden dressers
6 trash bags full of clothes - some with tags on
Items to craft with
10 foot long book shelf
A wooden, tin punch trash can
Numerous end tables
A croquet set
2 Ikea chairs - I just had to buy new cushions
An under the bed storage unit - This End Up - remember that store :)
A rocking chair
2 living room chairs
Sports equipment
An enormous amount of wood for all my kids building projects
Last nights dinner - just kidding - just wanted to see if you were really reading:)

My family is used to my shenanigans - " quick pull over, I think I saw something" "Hurry and help me before someone else gets it!" My mom was my best accomplice - she could lift like no one else!!
My boys used to be so embarrassed but lo and behold they are now "Scrappers"! They trash pick metal objects and turn it into the recycling plant for some serious money! Mary and Sons, Inc.

I always wondered why people throw things out and I think because it is easy - why bother to ask around if anyone wants it, or drive to a donation center - just haul it to the street. And I think they secretly hope someone will take it! When my parents passed away and my siblings and I were cleaning out their house we did this. We had all taken the things we wanted, had driven many times to the Salvation Army,and still there were some big things we had to deal with - a huge entertainment center was one. Now, we could have arranged to have it picked up for donation but honestly we were tired!! So we hauled it to the end of the driveway  - within 15 minutes we had 2 cars looking over the things and with glee they started loading it on top of their car. I don't know who was happier - them or us - my brothers went out and helped and the rest of us watched from the window. It felt good to know someone else would be enjoying my parents things.

So don't be embarrassed -  remember that when you trash pick - you are doing someone else a favor!

And if it was toxic waste, I'm pretty sure they would have put a sign on it! I always scrub everything down with bleach and water when I get it home. Most things get painted - I love to paint, and then distress it so it ends up looking more aged than when I started - you see why I love trash so much! And if I get it home and it is in really bad shape or has a funky smell that won't go away - guess what I do - I throw it out - genius! What have I lost? - certainly not money and that makes cents!

5 comments:

  1. ...next, you'll be dumpster diving for all of that perfectly great food that gets thrown out all the time.

    Apparently it's the latest and greatest thing to do...dumpster dive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - let me know if you are interested in going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all these great posts Mary!
    Have a great time this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the best thing about Scott's paper route was the trash picking...and what we didn't want to keep we sold at a yard sale...hee-hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are shameless curb shoppers in my family. I have gotten way too many good things to care if anyone sees me!
    I also use FreeCycle to give & get, and it's fantastic. I think you'd be surprised how many things are put out at the curb & listed as a Curb Alert on FreeCycle. :)

    ReplyDelete

You don"t have to have a blog account to leave a comment, but please let me know who you are.